A lecture on professional duties and ethics for environmental professionals in Queensland, Australia.
The handouts referred to in the lecture are available at the following links:
In summary, the take-home points from this lecture are:
- There are a number of important legal duties imposed upon you as a practising professional, including:
- Duty to take reasonable care / avoid negligence
- Duty to disclose and avoid conflicts of interests
- Duty not to engage in corruption
- Duty of confidentiality.
- The best professionals and workplaces aim to translate their professional duties into creating an effective, ethical and supportive work environment that people want to be part of and contribute to.
- You should strive to be ethical in your professional practice
- Your professional integrity and ethics will underpin and shape your whole career.
- Your career should be about more than just making money. Make public service a core part of it.